What to do Once the Fire Alarm is Activated
- In high-rises, follow your specific building Emergency Action Plan.
- Feel the doorknob or higher on the door with the back of your hand. If it feels hot, fire may be on the other side of the door, so keep it shut.
- Even if the door is cool, open it slowly. Stand low and to one side of the door, in case smoke or fumes seep around it.
- If heat and smoke come in, slam the door tightly, stuff clothing or towels in the door’s cracks to keep smoke out, and use your alternate way out.
- Those who are unable to evacuate the building rapidly, such as persons with disabilities, should proceed to the designated Area of Rescue Assistance or nearest stairwell.
- If your clothes catch re, stop, drop, and roll – stop immediately, drop to the ground, and cover your face with your hands. Roll back and forth until the fire is out.
- DO NOT congregate in the building lobby.
- DO NOT use elevators unless instructed to do so by the Chicago Fire Department.