Before, During and After a Hazmat Release
Hazmat Release Response
The following are things you can do to protect yourself, your students, and University property from the effects of a hazardous materials incident:
- If the incident is indoors, close all doors in order to isolate the area if it is safe to do so.
- From a safe area, call (312) 996-SAFE (7233) or (312) 355-5555.
- Be prepared to provide the following information regarding the spill or release:
- Location/building name/address of the leak
- Source and extent of the leak, and number of rooms/floors involved
- If anyone is experiencing symptoms of exposure (e.g., lightheadedness, fainting, etc.)
- Evacuate or shelter-in-place, as appropriate. Remain in a safe area until you are informed by emergency response personnel that it is safe to return.
- DO NOT attempt to contain the spill or identify the materials/ substances that are involved unless safety permits, you have been properly trained, and it is an expectation of your job or position at UIC.